It was all over the news that some microorganisms were found in the drinking water supplied to some parts of Squaw Valley. In response to the news, a statement has been issued by Squaw Valley.
The news was first broken to Placer County Department of Environmental Health on November 8. After which proper corrective measures have been taken and the situation has continued to improve. The purported contaminated water was treated consistently and there is a lot of improvement.
Four wells serve Upper Mountain and three of them are already showing very little presence of the bacteria. The director of Placer County Environment Health made this confirmation on Tuesday.
As a safety measure, all restaurants at Upper Mountain were closed after the news was broken. Despite the perceived improvement, restaurants are yet to open. Although skiers are not barred from skiing, they have been prohibited from drinking water until the water has been fully purified.
Due to the quick response of the appropriate authority, there have been no health issues. At least, none has been reported up till now. Apart from the temporary embargo placed on drinking water, top-to-bottom skiing is still allowed at the Squaw Valley ski resort.
At exactly 8.07pm Wednesday, November 30, Liesl Kenney, Public Relations for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows issued a statement on the unusual occurrence. Please find the statement below.
Squaw Valley’s Statement
Sometimes in October, there was an unusually heavy rain storm that took its toll on some water systems in Placer County. This rain overfilled an upgraded water system recently installed at Gold Coast and High Camp. This obviously resulted in the pollution of the water system.
We can comfortably tell you that it was only that system that was contaminated and no other one because we embarked on thorough investigation. We also made sure that water from the contaminated water system has never been available to the public up till now.
We detected the issue while carrying out our routine testing and due to the enormity of the issue, we contacted both Squaw Valley Public Service District and Placer County Environmental Health immediately. We did not stop at that, we also involved other safety experts.
Due to their cooperation and assistance, we have been able to put the issue under control. We will continue with the corrective measures until the issue is fully resolved and all the traces of contamination disappear completely. We give you our words that we will invite health officials to come and declare the water safe before we make it available for public consumption.
Because the safety of our customers is very important to us, all our facilities will be available for our guests at Gold Coast and High Camp until when the issue is finally resolved. These facilities include free bottled water. We are ready to make the sacrifice.
We will definitely keep our guests updated on this issue. To conclude, we will like to express our deep appreciation to Squaw Valley Public Service District and Placer County for their timely intervention, full understanding and full cooperation on this issue.
Learn more about Squaw Valley: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Squaw-Valley-USA/6day/mid